Olanzapine - is an antipsychotic agent (neuroleptic) with a broad pharmacological spectrum of influence on a number of receptor systems.
Indications for use:
- Schizophrenia in adults (exacerbation, sustained and prolonged anti-relapse therapy).
- Psychotic disorders with productive (delusions, hallucinations, automatisms) and / or negative (emotional flattening, decreased social activity, impoverishment of speech), symptomatology and concomitant affective disorders.
- Bipolar affective disorder in adults (monotherapy or in combination with drugs Li + or valproic acid).
- Acute manic or mixed episodes with / without psychotic manifestations and with / without rapid phase change.
- Recurrence of bipolar disorder (with efficacy of the drug in the treatment of the manic phase).
- Depressive conditions associated with bipolar disorder (used in combination with fluoxetine).
- From the side of the central nervous system: a gait disorder (in patients with Alzheimer's dementia), drowsiness, akathisia, dizziness; Rarely convulsive seizures.
- From the side of metabolism: weight gain, peripheral edema.
- On the part of the endocrine system: an increase in prolactin (clinical manifestations of hyperprolactinaemia were rare, in most cases normalization of prolactin levels occurred without the abolition of olanzapine); In isolated cases - hyperglycemia, diabetic coma, diabetic ketoacidosis.
- From the cardiovascular system: orthostatic hypotension; Rarely - a bradycardia.
- From the digestive system: constipation, dry mouth, increased appetite, increased activity of ALT and AST; Rarely - hepatitis.
- Dermatological reactions: rarely - photosensitivity, rash.
- From the genitourinary system: rarely - priapism.
- From the hemopoietic system: eosinophilia; Rarely - leukopenia, thrombocytopenia.
- Other: asthenia.
The initial dose is 10-15 mg per day. The daily dose must be selected individually depending on the clinical condition of the patient. After an oral administration olanzapine is well absorbed and its maximum concentration in plasma is reached after 5-8 hours. Absorption of olanzapine is not dependent on food intake.
Contraindications: Hypersensitivity, lactation period, children's age (under 18 years).
During pregnancy this drug must be prescribed very accurately by healthcare specialist.
Also a lactating patient should stop breastfeeding in case of treatment by this drug.
Everyone knows, that the likelihood of side effects is higher in case of an overdose.
Very frequent (frequency> 10%) symptoms with olanzapine overdose were tachycardia, agitation / aggressiveness, articulation disorder, various extrapyramidal disorders and disorders of consciousness of varying severity (from sedation to coma).